The Unsuspected Journey
by
Chimnese Davids
But I knew the day would come where we would walk this path. All along I knew that time would bring us back together, but today I saw you for the person that I've fallen in love with.
You helped me as I've tried to gather my entire luggage on the cart. We were walking side by side as you push the stroller. I didn't turn to your side. I didn't want to have this moment be our last.
"One day you will thank me." Those words uttered from her lips.
"In the events that coming you will be doing something that you always wanted. I won't be the one to put that light out of you." She says.
My tears were there, but I didn't let them fall. All I could feel was the blood pumping through my veins to every part where this rush of overwhelming came fort. I didn't want to leave her, but she knew it wasn't going to be forever. That I wasn't going to be in her life forever.
“The hidden power believed to control what will happen in the future; fate."
I closed my eyes as we near the escalator taking me further. Taking me away from her.
"Are you ready?" She asked me. With my eyes still closed, taking deep breathes before I spoke.
A deep breath was filled into my lungs as I breathe it right back out slowly.
"I'm nerves. I'm exited, but I'm nerves." I said. She looked at me as she pushes the stroller back and forth. Yet still having her eyes set on mine.
Never have I thought that this would hurt so much. The tears was visible I could see her light green eyes glittering from the water as it didn't fall, but it was there evident that this is as hard for her as it was for me.
I would've stayed, if she said the words. I wouldn't have let her take me to that airport. To know that she was my angel. This is like when I was sick a few years back and she couldn't accept that I was fighting a disease that was incurable. But her love for me made me fight against all the reports from doctors that I will never be able to have a normal life. That I would never walk. We believed together. We took God as our savoir and believed in so many other testimonies.
Six months went passed and I was able to walk again. Doctors said it was miracle; I stopped all medication because I believed in a higher power.
This right here with her, saying goodbye to my best friend and my god daughter was the only family I've had.
"Jordan, our destinies isn't up to us nor does the weather. If this is the last goodbye I don't want to remember the tears, but the joy. This is your purpose to heal people. There’s a light inside of you, something I can't keep to myself any longer." I was in love with, Sarah since I've met her 10 years ago.
“There are winds of destiny that blow when we least expect them. Sometimes they gust with the fury of a hurricane; sometimes they barely fan one’s cheek. But the winds cannot be denied, bringing as they often do a future that is impossible to ignore.”
"If I never knew you, if I never felt this way I would have no inkling on how great life can be." I said.
Sarah came closer to me the stroller pointed to the side of her as I hear baby, Winter blowing through her lips. I am going to miss that sound she makes ever since she started teething.
She stops in front of me as both her arms goes around my neck, mine went around her waist, just holding each other in. I didn't want to let go, neither did she.
Tears couldn't be stopped, not this time around. She pulled away, wiping the tears from my eyes. Smiling as she does it. I didn't look a way, I didn't want too. Because for the next year or more I wouldn't see them again.
Just before I let go of her waist she pressed a kiss to the corner of my lips. I remember as we said our last goodbyes I was touching my lip to feel her touch.
It was as if we in this movie that's being filmed and everything in that scene was shot in slow motion. The way we walked away from each other. No one turned around she was walking towards home and I was walking towards a life that I am not familiar with. A life that I still fear.
As I walked up the escalator. Until I got to the top. I finally turned around just when I spotted her and Winter making their way out of the airport.
If I look back to that moment standing face to face with the woman that I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, but if our destinies didn't bring us back together. You might as well accept it, that she wasn't meant to be with me.
I've been living in Cape Town, South Africa for the past five years.
“Of course it hurt that we could never love each other in a physical way. We would have been far happier if we had. But that was like the tides, the change of seasons--something immutable, an immovable destiny we could never alter. No matter how cleverly we might shelter it; our delicate friendship wasn't going to last forever. We were bound to reach a dead end. That was painfully clear.”
My destiny wasn't set anywhere else, but right here in my home town.
Sarah came closer to me the stroller pointed to the side of her as I hear baby, Winter blowing through her lips. I am going to miss that sound she makes ever since she started teething.
She stops in front of me as both her arms goes around my neck, mine went around her waist, just holding each other in. I didn't want to let go, neither did she.
Tears couldn't be stopped, not this time around. She pulled away, wiping the tears from my eyes. Smiling as she does it. I didn't look a way, I didn't want too. Because for the next year or more I wouldn't see them again.
Just before I let go of her waist she pressed a kiss to the corner of my lips. I remember as we said our last goodbyes I was touching my lip to feel her touch.
It was as if we in this movie that's being filmed and everything in that scene was shot in slow motion. The way we walked away from each other. No one turned around she was walking towards home and I was walking towards a life that I am not familiar with. A life that I still fear.
As I walked up the escalator. Until I got to the top. I finally turned around just when I spotted her and Winter making their way out of the airport.
If I look back to that moment standing face to face with the woman that I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, but if our destinies didn't bring us back together. You might as well accept it, that she wasn't meant to be with me.
I've been living in Cape Town, South Africa for the past five years.
“Of course it hurt that we could never love each other in a physical way. We would have been far happier if we had. But that was like the tides, the change of seasons--something immutable, an immovable destiny we could never alter. No matter how cleverly we might shelter it; our delicate friendship wasn't going to last forever. We were bound to reach a dead end. That was painfully clear.”
My destiny wasn't set anywhere else, but right here in my home town.
Author Note: All rights are owned by me.
Short Story Slam week 21- @ BlueBell Books Twitter Club
Short Story Slam week 21- @ BlueBell Books Twitter Club



3 comments:
Beautiful, touching story, Chim. The emotion was felt throughout. Nicely done!
http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/running-blind/
This was wonderful Chim and so painful to read. To know that you could never be with the one you love just made me cry. I felt the pain, the sorrow and the acceptance, but the whole time I'm saying, "Why does it have to be that way? Isn't it possible to be together if you really love each other?" I guess I'm way to emotional, but that's me; a woman through and through. The wonderful thing is that you found out what love felt like and though it sounds cheesy, I finally understand the saying, 'It's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.'
Very, very good job. Be blessed.
http://elizena-lovingmycreator.blogspot.com/2012/03/in-moonlights-vision.html
Written with an beautiful air of fate. Rather tear jerky but I loved it!
Post a Comment