The road ahead seems tarnished
As the wheels touches the gravel.
Sometimes I like this kind of drives
Where the road leads me to places
Unknown, places I forbid to reach.
But is it possible that we have
Always let ourselves be on
An concurrent drive as we
Protest that failure can slow
Us down.
What do we seek in life
If we always play it safe
Never to reach that open door.
That old familiar feeling
We always get where we stop
Ourselves from enjoying life.
We fall in despair as life takes
An unprepared turn
As we venture through pain
And heartache pulling us down.
We get to the brim of our adventure.
As we look far beyond the distance.
That long and unwinding grayish tar.
We see a road never ending.
We look at life as its on going,
Recurring each step as the days come.
So does that open road become.
A road that has so many other
Directions, it all depends
On the outcome.
On what we want out of life
And also what we seek to console
Our burden hearts.
I've come to a open road
And I've failed.
I've failed what I thought I knew.
That I can grow with each mistake
And turn it into a lesson.
Sometimes we think to much about
The end of that open road.
But all along its not about
Where we came from,
But where we we'll be
At the end of the day.
Finding hope and holding
On to our love for ourselves.
This is my entry for FWF by Kellie Elmore
Week#50 Thursday Poets Rally 25/08/2011 till 01/09/2011
12 comments:
"we always get where we stop"...i love that line!
I true, we get consumed with where we are going that we forget to just enjoy the ride. I love your entry and I'm so happy to have this contribution to Free Write Friday!
Hope to see you back next weekend!
I know what you mean, Chim. I think we often spend too much of our time worrying about the trip rather than enjoying the things we encounter on the journey. You speak well of all this. Thank you for making me think on it.
I love how wide open this poem is. Nice. :-)
its not about
Where we came from,
But where we we'll be
:) I love that
smooth sailings on your open road.
cheers.
So nicely done. Line breaks communicating meaning, sometimes a couple of different meanings at once, as a number of lines can be taken by themselves and/or in relation to what comes before and after them. As in these lines, for example:
"That old familiar feeling
We always get where we stop
Ourselves from enjoying life."
They can be read as a triplet, all together as one sentence but the middle line has a sense all by itself. We always get where we stop. Similar to "wherever you go, there you are."
I think your poem is multi-directional and deep. Giving so many points in life's landscape to look at, feel one's way through both one step at a time and one emotion at a time. Very rich.
Thanks for entering this for all us rally poets to enjoy.
It has a great meaning in it. We always ponder on the end results rather than enjoying the way.. Me likes it :)
Yes, a very interesting and thoughtful write.
Like your thoughts on life but sometimes we loose our way. Well done.
Melanie
This is such a lovely poem about life and how we can lose our way sometime. Happy rally I am new to the rally and I tried this piece for my first entry http://gatelesspassage.com/2011/09/01/life-memories/
Love the positiveness in the end! We have so many possibilities in life. I believe that we should experience a lot of things and not be afraid of trying. After all that's what makes our personality richer!
Very crisp piece, I like the metaphoric tone
Post a Comment