Wednesday, May 4, 2011 | By: Chim's World of Literature

Raising Daughters


“Raising Daughter”

I asked my mom one day
“Mom what was it like when you found out it was a girl,”
She said,
“I was happier than I have ever been.”
I started to think what would it be like,
When I have a daughter.
Will I follow my mom’s parenting skills?
She always said.
“Raising a daughter is so precious, you can share
So many things with her.
Show her how to love herself, and to love others
With the same love she received from her mother.”
I started to ask myself,
Do I have enough love to give her?
Can I raise her the way she needs to be?
The way she deserves to be?
Raising a daughter is special to any mother.
All I know is that my mom raised her daughter
To be loved and love in return.


This is my entry for Poets Rally week #43
This is also in rememberance of Mother's Day, I wrote this poem last year for my mother and wish to share it with the world.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, mom poems never die of taste. They are heart rending any day. :) This one is unique.

Anonymous said...

Liked the love in this poem! :)
happy rally!
Ina

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have the basics to start with.

Anonymous said...

Mothers have needs…. More than most
You have shared her love.
You have shared your love.

Thank your for a lovely thought.

Genebrother

Paulami said...

so true so true... :)
and yes it must be an experience too considering the tantrums i used to throw and still do :P

Oak Creek Ranch said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mother - and mothers everywhere.

The Poet said...

There's no question that the monther/daughter bond is strong (most of the time), but let's not forget about the mother/son bond.

My mother and I have always had a special relationship. I lost my dad at an early age and although I loved him dearly, my mother was both mother and father to me after his death. Life was not easy for her. She was not highly educated, but she never gave in to the trials of life. She gave me love and showed me how to love in return. She taught me how to be humble and kind. She laid the foundation for me to build upon and grow into the the man I am today. (Sorry for oversharing, but I'm passionate about my love for my mom.)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

smiles.

lovely thoughts on being a mother to a daughter,
I got two boys.
wish I had a girl.

beautiful entry, have fun.

Uma Anandane said...

True in every sense.love your poem...inspired me :) .

I have written about the women ,her roles (http://umaspoembook.blogspot.com/2011/03/inside-my-poem-book-one-woman-unmasked.html) ,hope u like it :D

Anonymous said...

Great poem for a Mother, daughter, and a granddaughter to share on Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

your mom raised an amazing daughter :)

Unknown said...

A wonderful treatise on motherhood, as well as mother~daughter relationships.
http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/05/05/soldiers-like-johnny-and-dusty/

Anonymous said...

well expressed!
i miss my mom soooooo much,,
:)

Anonymous said...

Warm, beautiful and deep. I guess every mother somehow knows how to take care of her daughter the best, when she has a baby girl. :)

Bing Yap said...

what a heartwarming tribute to the best friend a daughter can ever have... i am so blessed to have a loving mother and two lovely, affectionate daughters. i can relate to the beautiful words here. brilliant poem!

Blaga said...

lovely! as a daughter to a lovely mom, I appreciate your poem very much.

Anonymous said...

Your mother sounds like a fantastic and special lady, you're one of the lucky ones!

Anonymous said...

We all question if we have the stuff of our parents. You framed it nicely here.

my thursday post is here

http://blackswanpoetry.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/poem-can%e2%80%99t-believe-it%e2%80%99s-you/

Vinay Leo R. said...

a beautiful poem for a fantastic lady :) liked it!

Suzanne Wyatt said...

A beautiful well-written work! As you so often do, your stories/poems of love show so much emotion in every work.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written.

Post a Comment